How to enter the German university (and why)
Artists in Talk
How to enter a german university (and why)
– It is an (intellectual) pleasure and even an intellectual therapy in a way (in a world of war and repressions)
– Better carrier chances in Germany
– Quality time for yourself–learning languages, reading books, reflexing on topics
– Bonuses like discounts, travel pass, possibility to get a stipendium
– Students are wanted workers (less taxes to be paid for them)
– Legal residence in the country and residence permit
– Preparation period is exhausting
– You have to study, so if you hate it–it is better not to start. But you will love it–just find your program!
BEFORE TO APPLY–GET INFORMATION IN ADVANCE…
➔ In DE–12 years at school (Abitur), so
option 1) to have a confirmation of at least 2 years at the university (similar program)
option 2) apply for the Studienkolleg
➔ You will need to collect different documents, make apostilles… –) take care of this in advance. You should have an access to this documents (do not fight with your relatives too harsh!) or apply for replacement via your local institutions
➔ There are (almost) no entry examinations, but you have to have money (or a proof that you will have money–we will talk about it later) and a language certificate. Please, choose the language you want to study in (English or German) and receive a certificate (for German–minimum B2, for some universities–C1).
➔ 1) Choose your uni and your specialization
Do you prefer a big city or a small town?
Where the cost of life (like rent, food, etc) is more affordable?
Check the rating of the uni, their reputation, list of courses and professors
Special programs for refugees and migrants–maybe for you?
Costs (private and state universities). Big costs does not mean high quality!!
➔ 2) Check the website of your uni and when the study begins (winter semester–October, summer semester–April)
Check how to apply for the studies, what documents you have to have. MAKE A RESEARCH–you will need to do it a lot later as well! ^–^
➔ 3) Assemble your documents
Certified copies & translations
»VORPRÜFUNGSDOKUMENTATION« (VPD)–PRELIMINARY REVIEW DOCUMENTATION!
Obtain the documents required by the university
Check documents and information country by country at uni-assist.de
Have documents translated by a court-certified translator
Obtain certified copies of certificates and of translations etc. (except for online-only applications)
Make digital copies of application documents
➔ 4) pay some money
➔ 5) apply (some documents like certified copies must be sent to uni-assist by real old-fashioned post)
And now another story begins–the Embassy
What is important to know? They will ask you to provide:
– A confirmation from a German university of the applicant’s enrolment (Immatrikulationsbescheinigung) or of the proof of an application for enrolment
– A confirmation of your financial solvency (app 11,500 Euro)
Option 1–your rich friends in Germany (financial commitment)
Option 2–blocked bank account https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/sperrkonto/388600
Option 3–stipendium confirmation
– A medical insurance (state and private)
Other useful links: